Sunday is a busy day here at New Hope. Everyone goes to church in the church by the primary school and then at 4:00 or 4:30 the football (soccer) match starts. One family group challanges another group to a match.
At chuch we begin in singing 2 songs in English and 2 songs in Lugandan. Then they read the bible passage and it was Acts 2. It was kind of funny because Acts 2 talks about when Peter preaches his sermon and everyone could understand what he was saying but we needed to have a translator to translate into Lugandan.
After church we ate lunch and then we went off in different ways. My mom went to a bible study while the rest of the family went to the football game. It was Samuel Family with the team that was hooked up with the Samuel family versus the Intstitute. The Institute won 4 to 3. I played for one little bit and kicked the ball a couple times but they are all WAY better and quite a bit bigger than I am. I was only one of the two people that were girls. That was the very first time that I had worn shorts here.
After we had showered we walked down to a older family auntie. We were going to eat a little snack and then go over to the Jonathan Family's devotions and then eat a real Ugandan meal. In their devotions they have to say 1 thing they were thankful for that no one else had said. Then we went around the table again and said one thing we had learned from the church service or Sunday School. After that was finished we told one person why we were thankful for them. When it was my turn the people I could choose from were all of the Ugandan kids and I barely even knew them. I said that I was thankful for the translator but I forgot his name! The person who did devotions prayed for the food and then everyone got up and shook peoples hands. There were only 3 girls there but I think there was more somewhere else. One was 15, one was 12, and one was 11 I think.
After we had shaken everyones hand we sat back down and the kid started to serve the food. The meal consisted of posho, rice, beans, collards and pineapple. Posho is ground up maise put into hot water and cooked in the pot for a while stiring it a lot I think. Rice is just the normal rice that we would eat in North America. The beans were just beans with a sauce that had tomatos in it. Collards are like lettuce just greener and the pineapple is sweet and very sweet. The rice, beans, and pineapple were delicous, the collards were okay, but the posho just wasn't my favourite. They all dish up HUGE helping so most of the westerners didn't finish theirs. But the Ugandans finished all theirs up and they had larger portions then we did. After supper and oatmeal cookies the boys played luto and the girls did different hand games. They taught us some of theirs and we taught them some of ours.We had lots of fun. Then Christina asked them what some words were in Ugandan. Now we have tons of words in Ugandan! After the boys had played a extremly long game of luto we left and then went to bed getting ready for a day of excitment tomorrow!
Catriona,
ReplyDeleteI think you should see if you can get a football to play soccer with. Or is it football? Anyway, maybe you can bring a bit of our BCS silliest sport over to play against those big kids.
I'll make sure to have the class check out your blog on Thursday's computer class! We'll send you some posts right away. - Mr. G
Hi Mr. Grafton
ReplyDeleteThey would be laughing like crazy I would think even the little things they laugh at. But it would be fun. That also might be a good idea for when the younger American and Canadian kids are fighting and my dad tells me to think up of a game! I will try to get some more posts on the blog!:)