Friday, July 20, 2012

Special Needs Class

This week I took a break from my school work on Tuesday and Thursday and went up to the special needs class to help. As I reached the clinic where the special needs class is I could hear the noises of them talking to each to each other. Up the ramps to the class room I got a smile from Kakulu. As I greet those who couldn't see me at first I walk over to Allen in her pretty dress today and she gives me a big smile. Although she can't say words she makes noises that aren't the sound of her crying as I play with her. Hassan is sleeping on the couch in the second room with Dissan. Dissan is a little boy from the baby house that has recently been brought here to New Hope. He had a big sore on his neck which was diagnosed as TB. He had surgery on Monday or Tuesday but Aunt Kate thinks that they didn't do a very good job and he is having a very hard time breathing. As I walk into the other room I hear his rasping breath. Auntie Agnes gives me a hug and welcomes me as I come back and I greet Uncle Eric and Uncle Stephen. Godfrey is wiping the table after break and Sharon is giving helpful hints. As everyone comes back in Isma and Kakande come back in and take their seats. Kakulu gets wheeled in and Ivan and Allen get put in their chairs. Uncle Stephen takes Carol and starts feeding her with her tube. Auntie Kate is the teacher for this class. With her talking in English and someone translating to Luganda and then having an occasional sign language we learn that we are going to be making mobiles of wild animal.  We talked about each animal and what its name was and then we got to work on painting. I was assigned to help Kakulu. We started with a lion and I put the brush in his hand a gently momved it over the lion. It was soon a beautiful yellow lion and I put it on the window sill to dry. We painted each one and by the time Kakulu and I were finished I had paint all over my hands and Kakulu who has a habit of resting his head on the table had a tiny bit of paint on his face. So I washed myself up and got Kakulu's face cloth and wiped his face. We were then finished and I feed Dissan his bottle. He had almost finished but then he didn't want anymore and he will vomit if you feed him too much so I laid him back in the stroller and began reading a book to Ivan and Allen. All too soon it was time for me to go back home and have lunch.

Sorry there are no pictures. I haven't taken the camera to the class yet but I will soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catriona!! It is so amazing that you are working in a special needs classroom! I'm sure it was such a wonderful experience to get to be there! Miss you! xoxo Andrea

    ReplyDelete