Thursday, December 18, 2014

Cakes

Now...this blog post is mostly for my friend Kasana but it will give you a glimpse into life as a missionary girl at New Hope.

                                                                         --------

Cakes. When I think of cakes I think of birthday parties and dessert. When I think of dessert I think of pie and how much I miss it but that is off topic.

Cakes. Now, in Uganda not many people have ovens. Some talented chefs can cook cake on a sigiri in a pot but not all people know how to do that so many go without cakes....OR they ask their missionary friends with ovens to bake cakes.




 Last July, one of our neighbours at the time asked us to make a cake for her son for July 22nd, his birthday. Alright, not a strange request. Sure, we can do that. Well that happened to be the day that we got locked out of our house....so I called our neighbour to explain the situation but she informed me that "No you don't need to make a cake, Jonah's birthday is actually in August." That time, it all worked out fine.

Many, many times you will find someone knocking on your door. "Can I talk to your mom?" and when Mom comes they proceed in asking "Aunt, can I/you make a cake for ____ birthday?"

So often we will end up making a cake for birthday parties...sometimes for people we don't even know!

So throughout the year we bake cakes for different birthday parties.

But, when December rolls around the order for cakes increases. For one, Dad has had many different meetings in Kampala...which require cake (of course, I mean what meeting wouldn't ;) ). Now thankfully, Kasana's dad also goes to these meetings as well...and she has been making cakes for them (we get the next one Kasana!!). So there are meeting cakes...and then there are party cakes. For Christmas Parties such as worship team parties and before-we-go-on-holiday parties, and sleepovers, and when you have people over.

For example, one weekend when there was a lot going on, Kasana made 3 cakes...in 2 days. One for a meeting, one for a worship team party, and one for an American Thanksgiving Party. In those 2 days, Christina and I also made two cakes...oh and my other friend Kara made cookies and her mom made something else.

Now you may be think that all missionaries do is make and eat cake...and that is true ; )

NOT!

                                                                       -----

Now, Kasana has also written about cakes (yes we do strange things in our spare time)

The Story of the Cakes:
"What are you making for the Thanksgiving get together tonight?” My friend Catriona asked as she noticed me walking up behind her on our way home from church. 
“A cake.” I replied, without slowing my rapid pace
“What’s it called?”
“Busy-Day Cake. Appropriately!” I called back as I walked past her at full speed and hurried all the way home. It was 1:00 pm and I had an hour to make the cake, eat lunch, and ride all the way back to the church for practice at 2:00. 
That afternoon was the beginning of my career of making Busy-Day cakes. Fast and delicious, Busy-Day cake is a simple yellow cake that can be embellished by any number of glazes of frostings. At first, I gave each busy-day cake a tangy lemon glaze. Once the lemon juice ran out, I began to make vanilla frosting. Once the vanilla runs out, maybe I’ll switch to almond!
After making a busy-day cake for that Thanksgiving gathering, I made one for my family the next day. Later in the week, I made one for the Heart of Worship party. Then I made one when our friends came over for dinner two nights later. My dad took the leftovers from that cake for a business meeting the next morning. Next, I made two for the Worcester Family get together, and another for Flo’s birthday. Finally, I made one this evening for another of my dad’s business meetings! 

The Busy-Day cake and I have spent more time together in the last month than some people spend with their family in the same amount of time! 

Oh, and Kasana may make guest appearances on my blog every so often when I convince her that that is a good idea!

1 comment:

  1. Catriona and Kasana, my mouth is watering!! Busy-day cakes sound like the equivalent of my banana and choc-chip muffins (straightforward and ingredients are usually at hand) but I don't think I can compete with Kasana's baking skills.

    ReplyDelete