Saturday, February 14, 2015

Generosity

One Tuesday night in January, I was reading in my Bible from Genesis 18. As I read verse 2-8, I thought of the week that lay before me. Genesis 18:2-8 says:

"2 Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.
3 He said, “If I have found favor in your eyes, my lord, do not pass your servant by. 4 Let a little water be brought, and then you may all wash your feet and rest under this tree. 5 Let me get you something to eat, so you can be refreshed and then go on your way—now that you have come to your servant.”
“Very well,” they answered, “do as you say.”
6 So Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah. “Quick,” he said, “get three seahs of the finest flour and knead it and bake some bread.”
7 Then he ran to the herd and selected a choice, tender calf and gave it to a servant, who hurried to prepare it. 8 He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree."

Abraham was willing to kill his choice calf and use his finest flour to feed his guests.When I had read this, I knew we were having people over for dinner at least 4 of the next 7 days and I was expecting a lot of cooking in the near future! As I read it I thought about how Abraham was so quick to welcome people into his home and to cook for them using his finest flour and his tender calf. He used what he had to make a meal for them, his guests and it reminded me that even though it meant a few more dishes and a little more work, Abraham and Sarah didn't mind.

Since moving to Uganda, I have seen people selflessly give and serve others. This Christmas we received a chicken from our sponsor child, Sam. We ate meals with David Family. We had a meal with our neighbours on their porch. People willingly sign up for meal rotas to help out families who are returning from travels. I have seen the generosity of people who have practically nothing but still give, even if it is a small or simple gift. And sometimes, these small and simple gifts are the most precious. Even if it is just a piece of bread or a bowl of beans and posho.

1 comment:

  1. what a practical application of one of the lessons from this passage Catriona, and a great reminder of the importance of having a generous heart

    ReplyDelete