Sunday, July 20, 2014

At New Hope, if you are going anywhere you need to figure out how long it would take you to walk a certain distance and add another 5-10 minutes for people stopping and talking to you a long the way. Yesterday, I was walking to one of the missionary houses on the opposite side of New Hope. I was already running a bit late, so I was walking pretty fast-hoping to get there not too late.

Common sites walking around New Hope


Well, I walked up part way with one of my friends going the same direction, said bye, and then carried on. A little while later, one of the girls from David Family stopped me to ask if someone was at home so she could pick up something there. After a little talk with her I was off on my way again!

Jump rope with some girls when we stayed at that house...in 2010...I think 9 houses back ;)


At the small gate, I greeted the guard and used my Luganda and carried on my way. I waved hello to the people that I passed. I crossed the road and headed to the second gate and greeted that guard. When I was three quarters to my destination, one of the teachers from the primary school and his wife called me over. Since we live in a close (and maybe sometimes a bit nosey) community, they wanted to ask me about who was moving into the house across the road and down the road a little ways. They thought that we were moving in there (I wonder why people might think that when there is an empty house we might move into it?) but I explained to them that we are moving into a different house and this missionary family is going to stay in the house down the road. Then we got into a discussion about where other missionary family were going to be staying!

mmm...bananas!


As I left there, I saw one of my friends and her parents and greeted them as I walked by and FINALLY I reached my destination! Yes, I enjoyed talking to people...and yes, I was a bit late, BUT in Uganda you know that some days things run on African time!

1 comment:

  1. ha, there are days when Africa time beats the rush, rush of some my days.

    ReplyDelete