Saturday, February 7, 2015

Guest Post 2--Scary Surprises

Here is another guest post by Kasana Anderson:

Scary Surprises 
                As I was musing over important life decisions, I went across the hall to the bathroom to brush my teeth. As I opened the door and flipped on the light, something on the floor startled me so much that I let out a shriek! There, blinking stupidly in the light, was a huge toad. After staring me down for a few moments, he turned and hopped back under cover of the sink. Finding my parents disinclined to help me, I turned to Jensen. He calmly picked up the toad with one hand and used his other to cup over the intruder. Needless to say, I did not invite him to come again.

Then few days ago, I was humming a Christmas Carol and going through a box of decorations. Lifting a huge stocking, I saw a tiny bat sleeping under it. It’s sleek black wings and body remained undisturbed but for a barely imperceptible stirring. Afraid it would fly into my face, I quickly dropped the stocking and backed away. That night a bat flew back and forth over my head as I stood on the veranda, so I assumed it had left it’s comfortable dwelling. The next morning, I was in charge of bringing the same box inside. I expressed my concern to my mother that the bat might have gone back inside.
                “No, no!” She assured me, “I checked...it’s gone!” And so trusting her, a reached into the tub once again, moved some things around, and...there was the bat, again! This time, I screamed. Now I do not like bats, and being surprised by one twice in the same 48 hours, proved too much for me. A neighbor to whom my mom was talking on the phone claims she heard me scream both over the phone and across the field that separates our houses! My mom quickly bundled the tub outside, used a stick to prod it out and moved it into our flower bushes. 

I am now basically paranoid that any dark place anywhere in the house is a dangerous hovel for amphibians! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kasana, good to read your post - I hope the toad and bat weren't scared too!

    ReplyDelete